Thursday, August 6, 2009

Jobs are coming!

It's been a really fun week. Monday I went walking with Lib at the Rose Bowl. I'm a pretty big fan of this place and can't wait till she comes back and I can buy some new roller blades. It's a 3 mile circle basically and a lot of people walk it. There are some low hills (think IN:) to help push it but it's a really nice walk.

Tuesday morning we hiked 6 miles through Griffith Park. It was pretty amazing. The sky was fairly clear. It didn't seem like there was a lot of smog yet so we had a good view of the city. I've heard it looks even better right after a rain. I guess I'll have to wait till the winter or next June for that to happen. We've been here 5 weeks and haven't seen a drop of precipitation. Doesn't bother me one bit. But really... we live in the desert. I still love the coolness of the morning and evening and the low humidity.

After Griffith Danny and I headed out to Santa Monica to chill on the beach for a couple hours. It was nice to be just the two of us hanging out with no worries, just enjoying the sun. We only had to pay $1 for parking for 2 hours which is pretty good for the LA area. Parking here is crazy. We hung out at Sheri and Kristen's place without them for a while. Sad they weren't there but soooo glad they left it open for us. Thanks again ladies! And then off to LAX to pick up Joffrey.

Oh yeah, while we were at the beach I got a call from a tutoring company here who tutor specifically NCLB kids. That's No Child Left Behind students for those of you not in the education field:) They're struggling students and I got asked some questions. But the outcome is that I have 2 days of training in a couple of weeks and then I'll start tutoring 8-25 hours a week. I'm excited about this because it uses my teaching abilities but leaves my hours flexible to be able to add another job in where I can. Tutoring will happen anytime after 4pm and it's decent money. So yes, that is job number 1!

It's been a rough couple weeks, I'm not gonna lie. Trusting God when things seem to be going nowhere and I'm not getting contacted back by anybody really sucks. I've broken down a couple times and Praise God for my husband. He has been absolutely amazing. We realize things could still get worse in certain areas but we're realizing that as long as He's still at the head and He's the one still in control, it's fine. It'll work out. It may not be life as we think it should be, or hoped it would be, but it's His and that's what matters.

Libby left Wednesday and it was sad. I'm soooo glad she's coming back. She's been amazing to have around. She's so full of life and energy all the time:) It's encouraging to say the least.

Today I interviewed with AppleOne. They're an agency that does temporary work or direct-hire work. Basically they help you find work until you get something permament, unless that's not what you're looking for. I found out I type 74 words per minute and I'm in. They lady actually put my resume in for a permanent position just up the road. I would be a receptionist basically, but it's full-time work. I'm not planning on teaching this year. Nobody is hiring. I've thought about subbing but we'll have to see what works out with this agency.

And then there's tomorrow. I finally heard back from a family and have an interview tomorrow morning at 9am. Two teenage boys. I'm excited about it. I have no idea how everything's going to work out but again, it's so great to just be contacted about the potential for work. I'm hoping things work out tomorrow because the boys sound like a lot of fun, active in sports and their school and what-not.

Danny's working on his production company and getting that up and running. He and Joffrey worked on price-sheets today so they're heading in the right direction. Danny has applied to a few things but having only one car and with his back, he's felt fairly limited. We'll see what happens once we figure out what's going on with me. Like I said though, he's been amazing. Whenever I've fallen apart, he's always completely encouraging and has faith that we aren't going to end up on the streets. He pulls and pushes me through so that we can keep living again.

I need to update a newsletter, especially considering we got new phone numbers today! We're still with Verizon but we changed to California numbers.We've heard rumors that if you have an out-of-state number the locals don't like to call you as much. It throws them off apparently. So we need to let people know those. And we just need to let people know what's going on. I'm hoping people read this thing but I know most people probably don't. Pretty sure I talked about updating the newsletter a couple weeks ago; guess that hasn't happened yet. That will be my weekend project. But for now, I'm off. One more thing I need to blog about was going to church on Sunday and the birthday party we went to Sunday night because of that. It was great fun. And now I'm going to a free Madagascar showing with the same people! Good stuff:)

1 comment:

  1. I read it :) So glad to hear you are finding work! I had dinner tonight with a couple from a suburb of LA. She is a teacher and said teaching is really hard to come by right now. So it sounds like you are going in the right direction. I have used temp agencies numerous times in my life and have really enjoyed the jobs I've gotten. I worked for an Oil Company in Houston one summer as a receptionist... it was great!! Thinking of you. So awesome to see God providing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read!