Thursday, August 13, 2009

The family

Last night was a late one but worth it. I was called back for a second interview from last week's nanny interview. The mom works a lot of hours as an attorney so 9:30pm was the time she had available to meet this week. It was also one of the 3 times available between 3 girls their meeting, and maybe the only time that I would be able to meet all 3 of them. So I went with it. I figured being first has it's advantages and I wanted to make sure I met them all. I'm so glad I made the trip.

They're a wonderful family; laid-back, easy-going, active but not so busy that it's crazy, athletic, involved, communicative, incredibly mannered, and genuine. There were so many things I found in common with them like board games, video games, movie making, dogs, and sports. I felt right at home. There are 2 more interviews today and then they leave for vaca on Saturday so I'll know by then. I'm really hopeful but trusting Him. I know that if I don't get it there's another plan that I haven't quite figured out yet. But ultimately, I'm at rest and peaceful in this time of waiting.

On another note, we returned to the same church on Sunday and had an even better experience than the first time. We chatted with someone we'd met the week before, worship was better, and the teaching really hit home. They're dealing with some things as a church right now with leadership and they're all about putting it out there because that's what the Word tells us to do. It's an awesome process in that they're following the Word strictly even though it's painful. It's not something you get to see a lot of, but seeing it modeled in front of you is pretty incredible. The pastor is going through Romans right now and was in the beginning of chapter six. It was beautiful. Because of the issue at hand he also touched on the process we're supposed to use when there's conflict. A reminder that I needed in my life. Another fun part of the church is that there's a random assortment of TM alumni. It's nice having "family" around.

For the most part, this church has been great in simply the people that we're meeting. The rest of it is great but the people are wonderful and welcoming and inviting. It's exciting to be in a place where we feel at home again and actually have the opportunity to fellowship again. For now, it's home. I'm not sure what would take us from it but we're excited for where we're at right now.

Because of the pastor's series I wanted to reread Romans and catch up with him. The first couple chapters are not for the light-hearted. It's intense about sin and what you're supposed to do with it. Chapter 3 really got me yesterday, almost to the point of tears. Here is the God-man who came to earth. I got the picture of him being our hero. I feel like we have this idea of what a hero is in America but this God-man, He's our true Hero. If someone saves your life how do you repay them? By asking them to do it again and again? By continually living a lifestyle in which they have to keep rescuing you? Does that make them an even greater hero in everyone else's eyes, or even yours? Generally I think that if someone has been rescued from death, they are thankful. They generally take an inventory of their life and maybe even make some changes for the better that they didn't see before. This is the way that I think we need to thank our Hero. And the exact same concept applies to our God. As I was reading I had that fresh thought, realization even, about the fact that I don't have to die this horrible death or go to hell. The fact that my sins have been covered and I'm clean. Does it mean I'm perfect? By no means; I will never claim it. But it also means that I'm going to work on those changes instead of living in a way that I continually need saving. We're born with a sinful nature but that doesn't mean we don't have a choice. All this was so fresh as I read. Who Christ is and what He did for us. I sit in awe and humility, knowing that I don't deserve anywhere close to what He has provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read!