Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A job or two

Here's the details you've all been waiting for. Ha!

We'll start with last week. I went to orientation on Tuesday and Friday to be a tutor for Academic Advantage. I tutored in Florida at one point and it's a very similar program. I am self-contracted, make my own schedule, take as many kids as I feel I can, and get paid decent money. There's a lot of paperwork involved but it's cool. I met some interesting people through orientation which was nice as well. The only "problem" with this program is I only get paid once a month so the first paycheck from them won't come until mid-October. That's a long time to wait.

On Wednesday we were went to small group finally and were blessed with new friends and fresh ideas. A couple of the girls had ideas for me of jobs they knew about. Danny was also able to connect with the guys and get a new idea. He's actually going to be working on that tomorrow; getting his name into an agency that does "extra" work (being an extra on a film or tv set). The pay is decent and it's a decent way for him to actually get on set and hopefully be able to make some connections with the crew.

Thursday I had two interviews; one to tutor and one to babysit. I started tutoring this week, outside of the previous company, with a boy going into 8th grade. He's a cool kid but definitely becoming a teenager and getting a little lazy in his work. His mom is great as well though. I'm actually getting that check this Friday for 3 days of tutoring which is exciting. Money actually coming in! Once school starts, Sept. 9! I think I'll be tutoring him twice weekly and then working the schedule out with the other 4 students I have through the company. It's going to be interesting:)

Then Saturday I interviewed with my friend's boss. The company is Massage Envy and they're just about a mile and a half away which is really nice. Once the weather cools a bit I might just start walking to work. We'll see how it goes:) But she loved me and hired me on the spot. So that's the job I've been at since Monday. I'm a receptionist and so far I've answered a few phones and scheduled a few appointments. It's going to be challenging because they have a membership that they sell in order to make massage affordable to the "average Joe." So I'm going to have to work on being able to sell a product. I did this minimally at Kohl's with the Kohl's Card but this is much more intense. It's a good product and I would do it myself if we had the money. The GREAT part about this job is that I am required to get one massage a month, on the company. I need to know the "product", or therapists, and the only way to do that is by seeing them as a client myself. I'm a little excited about that part:)

Many of you probably were aware of the nanny position that I posted about last time. I really wanted to the job b/c it would have been one of the easiest jobs I had ever done before. The funny part is that when I didn't hear from them, and as each day passed, Danny and I both were given an understanding of why I wasn't supposed to have the job. So when I was finally contact 4 days later than I was told, it wasn't really a big deal. Danny and I both realized that 1) it would keep me from being involved in church b/c of the late hours and 2) it wasn't teaching. Getting involved with a family is not like any other job. You get really attached to a family. I think it's much more difficult to leave a family than to leave any other type of job. I know how difficult leaving CIL was this summer b/c they had become family. There were a lot of them though, whereas working with a family there are very few people involved which means the relationships build faster and can get deeper. So I was sad, but not as sad as I could have been.

So things are getting better. The pay is not amazing at Massage Envy but I do get commission once I start selling. September is going to be a rough month yet but I think once mid-October hits things are going to get better. Unless Danny finds work in September and then finances will get easier faster. That's the still the prayer as he daily applies for work.

There are so many other things we're learning right now that I badly need to write about and get out of my system, but this is already long enough. Stay tuned:) And thanks for ALL your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read!