Sunday, November 29, 2009

Lessons

I feel like I'm finally beginning to learn some of Satan's tactics that he uses here specifically. He steals joy, he steals time and makes relationships really hard to keep, and he lies and steals truth. These are biblical, mind you, but I don't feel like I've ever seen these tactics used so blatantly before. The people that I come in contact with on a daily basis; I can see them in their lives. I can see them in my own life. I see the effects of them all around me. I think I've talked about LA being a world in and of itself before. This just goes along with that. The fall of man is evident everywhere. I grew up in a nice little conservative town where it was taken for granted that everyone was in church, or at least knew about going to church. Even when we got to FL it was a similar situation. That's just not the case here.

With these tactics of the enemy I'm working on learning how to fight. I've had a really emotional week. I was waiting to hear back from an interview that I really wanted and I was putting my trust and hope in that instead of in my Creator. Not a good choice. I'm blessed to have a husband who loves me despite my flaws, and celebrates good news no matter what. I got the new job but it's part time hours at first until there are enough clients. I'm working for Autism Behavior Interventions. I'll be working one-on-one with kids with autism to help them learn new behaviors. The training is scattered across the work day so this coming week I'll be at Massage Envy, ABI, and then tutoring as much as possible. It looks really crazy on my calendar and so my motto has become to take it one day at a time. I can't do more than that and I'm not asked to. I'm excited about this new job and all that it brings with it but it's going to be tricky scheduling until it's full-time and until I finish my tutoring hours with 4 of my 6 students. But I'm choosing today not to worry and to trust in my Creator. He's in control and I'm not. He is my security.

Another tactic I've noticed is that the enemy likes to isolate people here. We're all trying to make it and there is no job security. We're all trying to catch up on debt, pay off debt, keep up with all the bills, and then have some extra cash to play with. That means we're all busy working. Working and being away from people keeps you from sharing, keeps you from being vulnerable and living in community. We can't live without people. I know I personally need a community to be involved in where I'm learning from others and have the opportunity to give as well. This is hard when everyone is involved in lots of things and has no time. So I'm relearning what it means to be intentional about relationships. It's hard but I know it's worth it, and it's necessary in my life.

Finally Pastor Tim talked about suffering in church today. It was really great to be reminded of the fact that no matter what suffering might feel like to me today, it's all worth it when compared to the glory that comes in the end. We suffer with Christ. It's part of our conversion. We were never promised a life of wonderful happiness. We are promised to be cared for and to have joy. Joy is different than happiness. It's more and more about choices and suffering comes along with that. Rejoice in all things. All things.

I want to catch up with all of you, friends and family. Time is not available right now, especially with the difference for those of you out of state. I have been missing home a lot lately and that entails all of the places I've lived and those who have been a part of those seasons. But I'm learning and know we're where we're supposed to be. Joy comes in the morning:) Love to you all. Be blessed during the holiday season that is upon us and choose joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read!